Bookdepository.com Review: Buying books online


I love to go to bookstore and read books and magazines for free. But where I live, many bookstores are now having downsizing. The stores are getting smaller and the books collection is getting lesser. I asked once the reason to one of the bookstore owners and he told me that the trend right now is that people is getting lazier to read a real book. They would rather watch youtube or browse the internet and read things that are available there for free. So, he prefers to stock up only the fast moving books, meaning bestsellers only. I pity them and the society, cause I believe children and teenagers are better off to hold and read a real book rather than holding on to their gadgets all the time.


In effect to the above, it’s getting harder for me to look for books that I really want to read and not all books are available for purchase as e-book. Call me old-fashioned, but I still like to read in a real book format than in the gadget. It’s not only lighter to carry, but also so much easier to read. You won’t be afraid that you have no battery.  So, my sis recommended that I ordered from Book Depository.

I went ahead and placed an order on May 12th, 2014 for a total of 2 books. The website nicely offers FREE delivery everywhere in this world for all purchases. The order process is easy and fast. You can find any books you want by typing on the “find books” button or you can also browse the books by category. Before making a purchase, you will need to register first. They accept payment from any type of common credit cards and Paypal. The website’s origin is from UK.

So, two weeks passed and I still hadn’t received the books. I checked my account through the website, it was written “shipped.” But it didn’t tell me when the exact date that I will receive the book. In Indonesia, any things sent from overseas will be checked thoroughly here and anything above USD 50 is taxable, meaning the recipient needs to pay for the custom fees. Well, the long distance from London to Jakarta and the inspection here may cause the delay in the shipment. Anyway, yesterday, exactly 23 days later, I received my books.


As you can see below, the two books are packaged in different envelopes. It is actually beneficial for the recipient if you order an expensive book due to the custom regulation I explained above. You can make sure that they don’t combine your purchases to avoid custom fees. The stamp on the envelope was written that it was shipped directly from London, UK. I opened the envelope and the books were both in pristine condition and I got free bookmarks for each book I bought. Overall, Book Depository is a recommended website to buy books and I am overall pleased with my purchase.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Translate

 

Blogger news

Blogroll

About Me